Our History

Origins of 5th Fife (K.H.S.) Scout Troop.

In common with many other scout troops throughout the country, the 5th Fife (Kirkcaldy High School) Troop or as it was known then the 2nd Fife (KHS) Scouts has had a continuous existence since 1909. A distinction not shared by many other troops in Kirkcaldy today.

The first Scoutmaster, Mr Thomas Collins, took over in 1910 and with headquarters at Mr Milliken's photographic studio in the High Street, the troop began to flourish along with its rivals the Y.M.C.A. and Boys Brigade Troop. The Great War (1914-1919)brought many changes and was a test of the new movements strength. Locally it brought great loss. On the same battlefield, 5th Fife lost its Scoutmaster and Scottish Scouting lost the Chairman of the Executive Committee, Major Stocks. Under energetic and sometimes very young leadership, however, local scouts made their contribution to the National war effort at home as well as abroad.

A New Number

In 1919, as part of a post-war re-organisation in Scotland the 2nd Kirkcaldy (KHS) Scouts received a new number - 5th Fife (KHS) - by which name they are known today. By this time, however scouting had not only survived the war years, but was at the beginning of a great period of expansion.

In the years following 5th Fife flourished, remaining moderate in size but able to send representatives with the County Flag, to the Welcome for the Prince at Alexandra Palace in 1922, and again carrying that flag to Scoutings coming-of-age jamboree, at Bikenhead in 1929.

Rover Crew Formed

In 1928 scouting underwent a modification in which the present route structure came into being and two years later the 5th Fife troop came neaerer that stage with the starting of a Rover crew by Mr Alexander Williamson.

Representation at Rallys, camps, jamborees and a full participation in local scouting characterises, the following years.

In 1937 the group finally matured with the formation of a cub pack by Mrs Cathrine Hepburn. It was not long however before War once again curtailed Scouting activities and as before it was left to the young leaders to watch over the troop. In 1947 with the formation of an active group committee and new scouters the group went ahead with a programme of expansion with the aim of purchasing an HQ of its own.

A Hall of our Own.

This was realised in 1951 when the Miners welfare Building in Dunnikier Road, was procured and opened in September of that year by Major Crichton Stewart of Falkland Place, the then County Commissioner. It is this hall which the Scouts use today.



Strength to Strength

Since then the group has gone from strength to strength in local competitions the group has had its successes. The festival of Britain Rally, the Coronation bonfire, the Chiefs Scout country rally, jamborees, Moots, Scouting Jubilee celebration at Sutton Coldfield in 1957- in these and many more activities the 5th Fife played its part.
There are many men and women in local life and many further afield who still remember with pleasure their share in these events and the association with the 5th Fife.

Print Print | Sitemap
© 5th Fife Scout Group Charity SC035501